Update as of Tuesday, August 11th: reCycle Bike Rentals
The reCycle Bike rental program is set to continue during the fall 2020 semester with a few key operational changes to ensure that we are able to provide students with rental bikes in a manner that ensures the safety of our student renters and staff and adheres to the latest University guidance.
Students interested in renting bikes through the reCycle Bike program for the fall semester must complete these steps:
1) fill out the bike rental contract: https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5sshjlfEkxxnEcR
2) Fill out the sign-up link at the end of the rental contract to reserve your 30 minute bike pick-up appointment
3) Arrive on time for your scheduled 30 minute appointment on August 22nd. Masks and social distancing will be required at bike distribution and no walk-ups will be allowed. At this time, students are able to rent bikes for the current semester only and bike rental fees have been lowered to $50 to reflect the shortened semester. Checks are strongly encouraged and should be made out to Florida State University; we are not able to accept credit/debit cards.
Additional important info:
The bike renter is responsible for returning the bike to the reCycle Bike program prior to leaving Tallahassee for the semester – whether that is in the event the university moves online at any point in the semester or prior to Thanksgiving Break as scheduled.
Failure to return the bike to the reCycle Bike Program, as well as damaged returns, will result in the appropriate fees outlined in the rental contract being applied to the renter’s account
The reCycle Bike Program does not offer refunds for any reason
Individuals who may be at higher risk or more vulnerable to illness from COVID-19 should reach out to email@example.com to discuss bike rental options.
Additional updates will be posted to this page and on social media @fsusustainable.
Update as of Wednesday, July 29th: Preparing for Fall 2020 Move-In
Although fall move-in may look slightly different this semester, there are still lots of ways for students moving into residence halls to feel at home while living sustainably.
For students and their families, please consider the following tips to make settling in at FSU a smoother and more sustainable transition:
- Bring fabric face masks that can be washed and reused.
- Coordinate with roommates to avoid duplicate items like shower curtains and hooks, bathroom cleaning supplies, bathmats, microwaves, coffee pots, and entertainment items.
- Choose a water filter and reusable water bottle instead of cases of plastic bottles. When out and about on campus, fill up your bottle at one of our touchless hydration stations.
- Bring only the essentials. Don't rely on lists from retailers to tell you what you need. Shop smart for only the things you need.
- Bring only seasonal clothes. Leave cold weather gear home and pick it up over the winter break!
- When purchasing items for residence hall rooms, try to buy items that can be reused in the next apartment or house. (Lots of students buy twin XL sheets with a queen size comforter for their residence hall room so they can reuse the comforter in their next home).
- Limit decorations or consider decorating with plants to freshen the air and keep the space peaceful and uncluttered.
- Pack with moving out in mind. Moving out is probably the last thing on anyone's mind while moving in, but everything that goes in must come out. The less you bring, the less work there will be to clean and move out during the busy end of the semester.
Update as of Tuesday, March 31st:
Due to COVID-19 concerns, we have made the difficult decision to close the Seminole Organic Garden for gardening this semester. We are planning to reopen the Seminole Organic Garden for rentals in Fall 2020. We miss sharing garden work days with you and hope to see you in the fall.
Update as of Thursday, March 26th:
- The Division of Student Affairs has provided a list of virtual resources for FSU students at studentaffairs.fsu.edu/virtualfsu. Check it out for:
- Active Anywhere workouts from Campus Rec
- Teleheath and Telemental health services from University Health Services and the University Counseling Center
- Connections to RSOs
- Career support and counseling provided by the Career Center
- Tons more!
As of Friday, March 20th, Sustainable Campus staff have transitioned to working remotely. For the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester:
- All reCycle Bike renters who are in Tallahassee over the coming weeks should return their bikes to University Cycles on 668 West Gaines Street anytime during normal business hours (10-6, Monday-Friday, 10-5 Saturday, closed Sunday). Please return your bike, u-lock, and key as soon as possible.
- Seminole Organic Garden work hours have been canceled.
- Food Recovery Network recoveries have been canceled.
- All in-person Earth Month events have been canceled. Any events that can be transitioned to online will be posted on our blog and/or social media channels (@fsusustainable). Join us online for our Digital Earth Month!
- Sustainable Campus is available for questions via email at SustainableCampus@fsu.edu or through direct messages @fsusustainable.