Interested in renting a bike?
Bike distributions are held at the beginning of each semester. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for information about our next distribution event. Our Bike Contract must be filled out in advance of distribution since we will not have paper contracts available https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8H23WdkNevjTLyl Please note that we can only accept cash or checks for bike rental fees.
The FSU reCycle Bike program is getting FSU students on bikes! We provide an easy and affordable way for students to choose a more sustainable mode of transportation. We also encourage everyone at FSU to adopt healthier lifestyles by riding their bikes to, from, and around campus.
We aim to reduce the amount of cars driven to and on campus, decrease the amount of abandoned bikes piled up in landfills, and provide affordable transportation to students.
FSU students are able to rent one of our 70 refurbished bicycles for a nominal fee for the semester or for the academic year. The rental fee includes a brand new helmet, lock, front and rear lights, as well as a free Bike Eat Shop Tallahassee (BEST) lifetime membership. A BEST subscription allows members to receive deals at local restaurants and shops as long as they have the member sticker on their helmet.
The complete rental package includes:
- A refurbished bicycle ($250 value)
- Lock ($30 value)
- Helmet ($30 value)
- Front and Rear Lights ($20 value)
- BEST membership ($5 value)
- Basic repairs at University Cycles
- Safety classes, maintenance workshops and social rides
Summer A (B & C) - $50 ($30)
Per Semester - $60
Fall & Spring - $100
Attend the Fall or Spring Distribution events to rent a bicycle! Check us out on Facebook for exact dates and times.
With the combined efforts of Commuter Services of North Florida and Sustainable Campus, we are able to teach bike safety classes, host maintenence workshops, lead social rides as well as provide bikes to 70+ students.
Want to get involved or rent a bike? E-mail us at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if my bike is stolen?
- Submit a police report to either FSUPD or Tallahassee PD and notify FSU reCycle Bike within 24 hours of the theft.
- Provide us with a copy of the police report within 5 business days.
- We will examine the report and determine if you secured the bike properly and if you will be held liable for the loss.
- After determining if you are liable, we will notify you of the findings and inform you as to whether you will be held financially responsible for the loss of the bike.
- If you are liable for the bike, we will place a charge on your student business account for the bike cost ($250).
- It is not our policy to supply a renter with a new bike after theirs is stolen.
What do I do if my bike is damaged?
- As soon as the bike is damaged contact the reCycle Bike coordinator immediately and take it to the University Cycles at 668 W. Gaines Street.
- If reCycle Bike and University Cycles determine the bike to be fixable, you will be charged for the cost of repair.
- If the bike has been damaged beyond its value, you will be held liable for the cost of the replacement bike ($250).
- It is not our policy to supply a renter with a new bike after theirs is damaged beyond repair, but if your bike is fixable (as most are) you will be able to pick it up after University Cycles completes the repair.
How common are these problems?
Luckily, these problems aren’t common at all! The vast majority of reCycle Bike Renters never have any issue with their bike. Almost all thefts can be prevented by properly locking your bike when not in use. Thieves are generally only looking for the easiest target! Accidents that lead to damage do happen but can be prevented by practicing safe cycling techniques and following the rules of the road.
I locked my bike properly and it still got stolen! Will I have to pay for a replacement?
Worry not! If you follow the instructions regarding bike theft as listed above and provide us with a police report that clearly shows you followed correct procedure and took all necessary steps to prevent the theft of your rented bike you will not be charged for its replacement. This means that if the bike was locked through the frame with the lock provided by reCycle Bike to a designated bike rack (not a pole or railing) and the bike was still stolen you will likely not be charged for its replacement, assuming you properly notify the police and FSU reCycle Bike, as detailed above.